When email marketing was first introduced, it was like finding a vein of gold in your backyard. All you had to do was “something” and you would instantly profit. Many businesses quadrupled or more… overnight. Unfortunately, the strategy that worked back then (i.e. send offers everyday), doesn’t work anymore. The reason people claim that “email is dead” is simply because they aren’t using updated tactics and strategies.
What Works Today
1. Content – We’re in the midst of an information age. People are starving for more information, and its your job to give it to them. In short, you want to mix great, unique content with a soft pitch to your main call to action.
2. Show Some Personality – People don’t respond to boring emails. If your writing is so boring and dry peoples eyes begin to bleed while reading it, you won’t be able to craft effective email marketing messages.
3. Build relationships – One of the main reasons to build a massive list of prospects and create an email marketing campaign is to build a relationship – not to make sales. This is why you want to add details of your personal life, interact with your prospects, and build trust. Show your audience that you’re a real person and have fears and hardships I you through too. People respond really well to this type of authenticity.
4. Time it right – In general, you want to communicate with your audience frequently. Timing is crucial to maximizing your email effectiveness.
5. Make It Short And Sweet – Brevity is key if you want to increase your clickthrough rate. Many people try to sell their entire product within a single email. The problem with that is, people are used to reading novel-like emails. It simply doesn’t provide a good selling environment.
A better strategy is keeping it short and sweet, then sending them to a page with more information. Let me repeat that the goal of an email is NOT to sell. The goal of an email is to get a click.
If you want to get more people visiting your pages via email, brevity is important.