This is part two in our four part series on Women in Business.
- Part One: How to set yourself apart in a male dominated industry
- Part Two: Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man, work like a boss
- Part Three: Supporting Other Women
- Part Four: Use it to your advantage: List of successful women in history
Part Two: “Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man, work like a boss”
Thinking like a man aids you to achieve a professional standard in the business world. This is because women who know how to position themselves are more successful. Sheer nerve and real guts will get your further than talent, which is sad because those with real talent go unnoticed; but let’s face it, it is the truth.
If you dress like a lady, but think like a man it’s safe to say that you will not be mistaken in your field, it will show you are confident and know what you are doing, which is fantastic in running a business.
There is no need to underestimate your accomplishments, woman are said to attain skills quicker than men however, are often let down by their confidence and consequently diminishing their get-ahead tactics. Here are a few thoughts you can consider to acknowledge your down falls and how to get back above them.
- Being Tentative: Woman are often weary about voicing their opinions and appear unsure of themselves even when they know very well what they’re talking about. If you are a well experienced woman then there is no reason to not be more confident about the work you produce, just take a step back remember who you are, be nice and still careful but speak up and proudly about your opinions, this will especially help because you will end up motivating them to greater standards.
- Being Collaborative: While men are more authoritarian, women are seen as collaborative, meaning they will often ask for feedback on a certain matter and with that feedback, often alter their original outcome. Whereas men will take action from the beginning without feedback. Where it’s perfectly fine to ask for feedback as -none can tend to lead to negative outcomes-, it’s good to be firm and precise about your own thoughts and have your own conclusions beforehand; if feedback is given, challenge it don’t accept it first hand! If you are at wrong, then embrace this “failure” because you cannot succeed and learn without it, this will surely help you with leaving that comfort zone we all love.
- Being Perceptive: Look at yourself now, are you in the position you intended to be when you started out your business. Are you still as enthusiastic? Have you progressed through the same initial approach? If you’re saying no to these following then something somewhere went wrong, acknowledge the mishap you faced and the first step today, take action! Women often face dilemmas in the work place and let it get it to them, fixing these matters will be your first step to success, the second, hold on to it! Keep that enthusiasm and faith you had when you started, it will support you throughout your ventures.
Repeat after us: “Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man, work like a boss”. Keeping ahead as a woman in a business can be hard, but not if you don’t let it. Take our Spicy advice on board and accomplish all you can with your skills, remember to acknowledge and speak up!
That’s a Spicy wrap up for this week, and thank you for tuning in on our advice for Supporting Other Women, there’s more coming next week so be sure to tune in to our blog for more on Women In Business.